Memorial Day Weekend
We had originally planned to go to Yosemite mid-June, but they had a heap of snow and didn't know if they'd be open. So we decided for Memorial Day to stay at a cabin by a lake. We researched Clear Lake and Shasta, but since we weren't very good at planning everything good was booked. I had figured we'd just stay home and do some fun things, but Paul found a cabin available at Pinecrest Lake. When he booked it it was apparently 80 degrees. Our entire trip was max 45 with lots and lots of rain (and some snow).
Here's a picture of the lake.

Unfortunately, while I knew it was going to be "cold," our little family just wasn't prepared. I forgot to bring my snow pants, and Z didn't have any shoes that fit him - only sandals. We hadn't worried about it since we were living in CA, where it's warm, but it wasn't the best. I had brought his snow suit, but forgot his weak-sauce mittens. And the thickest pair of pants J had were jeans. Needless to say, it was a little miserable with the weather. It was just always raining. And if there's one thing worse than being cold, it's being cold and wet.
But everyone else found a hobby they enjoyed - fishing. Apparently that was a planned part of the trip, though I didn't really know it. Luke and Tiffany brought their stuff (though they hadn't caught a fish in like the last year), and Paul and Maggie got "hooked" and bought their equipment and licenses up there. Rain is good fishing weather, from what people say. Which is what I remember from Zelda :). So they spent a lot of time doing that. I might have enjoyed fishing, but it's not really something to do with a little boy. And Jason hates it, and it would have cost money just to be involved. Not to mention that J would have been left all by himself. So we just bummed out. We took a walk one day to find everybody, and it was a nice hike. Out, anyway. We were hidden from most of the rain by trees. But by the time we got back Zach's hands were absolutely frozen and I was unhappy with my physical state.
Here's a picture of Paul fishing. He was the most successful.

We did, however, end up making lots of yummy foods. We brought most of our food up and had plenty of it. We had chicken and dumplings, breakfast casserole (with biscuits, eggs, meat, veggies and cheese), chicken mango salad, banana bread, and breakfast cake, to name a few. We had lots of food left over. We had also planned on grilling, but didn't really find the time, so once we got home we did that.
Here's Z helping cook.

We also played a fair amount of poker, which Jason just loves. Here's Tiffany, who just kicked everyone's butts! You might also notice the mug in the background - they were all identical, so we had to find a way of marking them with six of us there. We thought about tape, but didn't have any. Then I remembered the medical tape in the first aid kit I carry in Z's backpack and bam!, it was accomplished. Speaking of, we had the best coffee while we were there - Sticky Buns from Bath and Body Works, I think. Luke and Tiffany bought it around Christmas, but it was so stinking yummy! At one point we were all making our coffee and trying others' to see what they did to it - I was having a hard time replicating my first wonderfully perfect cup. Maggie noted that mine was just all sugar, Luke's was all creamer, and hers was basically black compared to ours (just a wee bit of each).

Zach really enjoyed Luke letting him take pictures - Luke would hold the camera steady while Z would push the button. Not sure how those ones turned out, but while they were sitting I grabbed the camera and took a few - they turned out really well! It also didn't hurt that Luke brought balls and frisbees to play with - they didn't think the weather would be as crappy as it was, either. Luke had this one flimsy frisbee that Z just loved.


Our cabin had a little fireplace, which we used A LOT.

The cabin (which was basically a duplex) had two rooms upstairs, so we got one while Luke and Tiffany got the other. Paul and Maggie slept on the pull out bed/couch thing, though they had brought their thermarests.

Z playing. He ended up getting a little bored, I think, from being couped up. Understandable, really.

Someone actually took a pic of Z and I!
Paul and Maggie had hiked around the lake, which I guess was only twice as far as we had previously hiked. Jason really wanted to do that, but I knew Z just wouldn't hold up against the weather. Neither would I! So we walked to the dam and then Paul, Maggie, Z and I turned around while Luke, Tiffany and J kept on going. Since I didn't have mittens, I used two pairs of socks over Z's little hands, but they were still so cold by the end. They were tucked under and we covered him up with this poncho (remember he still only had sandals).

It was actually pretty funny because when we stopped on the dam to switch Z from J to Paul, J got a little close to the edge of the rocks. There was just a little path along the dam, no railing, rope, or anything. I guess more nervous funny than anything. And then while Paul's used to carrying a pack, he's not used to a live person so he had to think about how to get Z up - he usually just slings his pack over his shoulder. I really wish I had had a camera out, because when Paul did lift him up (a little more carnival ride than usual), he had the best look on his face. Kind of like sheer terror, but also complete bewilderment. It was funny.
Zachary did like it when we stopped to look at a bush and ended up shaking the water off. He kept asking for more "raindrops." So every now and then Paul and Maggie would head bang to make drops come off their hood.

And just a crazy picture for your enjoyment.

Z likes to play with expensive electronic devices :).

The day we left everybody but us went out early to go fishing. They did well, and I think everyone caught something though they didn't keep much. I think they only kept a couple fish from the whole trip, which got eaten pretty quickly.

When I first saw this picture I didn't see the fish - I kept thinking Luke took the picture with her pretending to have one!

Us in front of our cabin. We spent most of the morning (after everyone got back) cleaning and packing.

I really wanted to stop by a fruit stand on the way back home (I had seen several on the way down, but they had been closed), so we tried our luck and stopped at a small one. It wasn't really that great, but it was next to a cheese factory/shop. Which also had some animals out back. So we hung out and pet the goats, watched the geese and other random animals. Then we noticed this little goat outside the fence. We checked inside and they said he was supposed to be out and was very friendly. So we pet the goat :). Zachary just loved it. And it was nice for all of us to be in some sunny, warm weather (literally like 20 minutes from the lake).


A random note - we had our first perfect day with Zach's potty training! It was so super awesome. We drove to the cabin on Friday night, and once we got there we changed Z's diaper and put him to bed, about 9:30. The entire next day he didn't do anything in his diaper - all in the potty! I think sometimes he waited until we set him on, because right away he would go. It was spectacular. Hasn't happened since, though we have had several days where the only time we've had to change him has been after he wakes up, which is to be expected. So we're slowly progressing.
Here's a picture of the lake.

Unfortunately, while I knew it was going to be "cold," our little family just wasn't prepared. I forgot to bring my snow pants, and Z didn't have any shoes that fit him - only sandals. We hadn't worried about it since we were living in CA, where it's warm, but it wasn't the best. I had brought his snow suit, but forgot his weak-sauce mittens. And the thickest pair of pants J had were jeans. Needless to say, it was a little miserable with the weather. It was just always raining. And if there's one thing worse than being cold, it's being cold and wet.
But everyone else found a hobby they enjoyed - fishing. Apparently that was a planned part of the trip, though I didn't really know it. Luke and Tiffany brought their stuff (though they hadn't caught a fish in like the last year), and Paul and Maggie got "hooked" and bought their equipment and licenses up there. Rain is good fishing weather, from what people say. Which is what I remember from Zelda :). So they spent a lot of time doing that. I might have enjoyed fishing, but it's not really something to do with a little boy. And Jason hates it, and it would have cost money just to be involved. Not to mention that J would have been left all by himself. So we just bummed out. We took a walk one day to find everybody, and it was a nice hike. Out, anyway. We were hidden from most of the rain by trees. But by the time we got back Zach's hands were absolutely frozen and I was unhappy with my physical state.
Here's a picture of Paul fishing. He was the most successful.

We did, however, end up making lots of yummy foods. We brought most of our food up and had plenty of it. We had chicken and dumplings, breakfast casserole (with biscuits, eggs, meat, veggies and cheese), chicken mango salad, banana bread, and breakfast cake, to name a few. We had lots of food left over. We had also planned on grilling, but didn't really find the time, so once we got home we did that.
Here's Z helping cook.

We also played a fair amount of poker, which Jason just loves. Here's Tiffany, who just kicked everyone's butts! You might also notice the mug in the background - they were all identical, so we had to find a way of marking them with six of us there. We thought about tape, but didn't have any. Then I remembered the medical tape in the first aid kit I carry in Z's backpack and bam!, it was accomplished. Speaking of, we had the best coffee while we were there - Sticky Buns from Bath and Body Works, I think. Luke and Tiffany bought it around Christmas, but it was so stinking yummy! At one point we were all making our coffee and trying others' to see what they did to it - I was having a hard time replicating my first wonderfully perfect cup. Maggie noted that mine was just all sugar, Luke's was all creamer, and hers was basically black compared to ours (just a wee bit of each).

Zach really enjoyed Luke letting him take pictures - Luke would hold the camera steady while Z would push the button. Not sure how those ones turned out, but while they were sitting I grabbed the camera and took a few - they turned out really well! It also didn't hurt that Luke brought balls and frisbees to play with - they didn't think the weather would be as crappy as it was, either. Luke had this one flimsy frisbee that Z just loved.


Our cabin had a little fireplace, which we used A LOT.

The cabin (which was basically a duplex) had two rooms upstairs, so we got one while Luke and Tiffany got the other. Paul and Maggie slept on the pull out bed/couch thing, though they had brought their thermarests.

Z playing. He ended up getting a little bored, I think, from being couped up. Understandable, really.

Someone actually took a pic of Z and I!

Paul and Maggie had hiked around the lake, which I guess was only twice as far as we had previously hiked. Jason really wanted to do that, but I knew Z just wouldn't hold up against the weather. Neither would I! So we walked to the dam and then Paul, Maggie, Z and I turned around while Luke, Tiffany and J kept on going. Since I didn't have mittens, I used two pairs of socks over Z's little hands, but they were still so cold by the end. They were tucked under and we covered him up with this poncho (remember he still only had sandals).

It was actually pretty funny because when we stopped on the dam to switch Z from J to Paul, J got a little close to the edge of the rocks. There was just a little path along the dam, no railing, rope, or anything. I guess more nervous funny than anything. And then while Paul's used to carrying a pack, he's not used to a live person so he had to think about how to get Z up - he usually just slings his pack over his shoulder. I really wish I had had a camera out, because when Paul did lift him up (a little more carnival ride than usual), he had the best look on his face. Kind of like sheer terror, but also complete bewilderment. It was funny.
Zachary did like it when we stopped to look at a bush and ended up shaking the water off. He kept asking for more "raindrops." So every now and then Paul and Maggie would head bang to make drops come off their hood.

And just a crazy picture for your enjoyment.

Z likes to play with expensive electronic devices :).

The day we left everybody but us went out early to go fishing. They did well, and I think everyone caught something though they didn't keep much. I think they only kept a couple fish from the whole trip, which got eaten pretty quickly.

When I first saw this picture I didn't see the fish - I kept thinking Luke took the picture with her pretending to have one!

Us in front of our cabin. We spent most of the morning (after everyone got back) cleaning and packing.

I really wanted to stop by a fruit stand on the way back home (I had seen several on the way down, but they had been closed), so we tried our luck and stopped at a small one. It wasn't really that great, but it was next to a cheese factory/shop. Which also had some animals out back. So we hung out and pet the goats, watched the geese and other random animals. Then we noticed this little goat outside the fence. We checked inside and they said he was supposed to be out and was very friendly. So we pet the goat :). Zachary just loved it. And it was nice for all of us to be in some sunny, warm weather (literally like 20 minutes from the lake).


A random note - we had our first perfect day with Zach's potty training! It was so super awesome. We drove to the cabin on Friday night, and once we got there we changed Z's diaper and put him to bed, about 9:30. The entire next day he didn't do anything in his diaper - all in the potty! I think sometimes he waited until we set him on, because right away he would go. It was spectacular. Hasn't happened since, though we have had several days where the only time we've had to change him has been after he wakes up, which is to be expected. So we're slowly progressing.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home