Sunday, December 14, 2008

SF Zoo

The first day in August (a Friday) Amie, Paul, Maggie, Luke and Tiffany headed out for a camping/hiking/mountain climbing adventure. I'm not super excited about such things nor do I enjoy trying to figure out how to incorporate Zachary, so we had a relaxing weekend at home. On Friday we decided to head to the San Francisco Zoo. It's reciprocal, and that means discounted! We had always wanted to go so we made it happen. San Fran traffic is not really something I like, but a necessary evil. San Fran weather is not something I really like either - especially when we don't plan appropriately! None of us brought coats, and it was pretty chilly for our tastes.

Anyway, we got there shortly before they had "tiger enrichment." They had three cubs and the enrichment was just some toys. This day they had balls that must have had something inside of them - catnip for tigers? We had to wait for a while, but it was totally worth it when they got going! The mom even got involved. She was pretty big and most of her movements were pretty slow, but at one point she got up really quick and dashed over to the water. Pretty quick and powerful - I'd hate to meet that in the wild!

One of the cubs managed to land his ball in the little pond they had. He tried so long before he finally managed to get it back out again.

A cub and the mom playing.

And the cubs. They were literally feet from us - it was pretty neat.
Some pretty neat pics of J and Z.


The zoo had some pretty neat bear exhibits - including two grizzlies. They were female and smaller, but they were pretty cool. I'm not a super big fan of smaller monkeys, but they had a lemur exhibit that was pretty neat - the walkway was raised so we were at the level of the trees. But by far the coolest exhibit was the giraffes. A tunnel leads into the middle of the exhibit, which is landscaped nicely.

Tunnels make for some fun shots. You can see the giraffe in the background.


I saw a cotton candy vendor and needed a fix. I love cotton candy, though I try and reserve it for special occasions. But it's actually not that bad for you! Not good, mind you, but not awful. The whole bag had just over 100 calories, and I think 30 grams of sugar. Which is a lot, but not compared to most of the other sweet treats out there (or just pop). Z really enjoyed it, too (see, I do let him have sugar sometimes).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home