Sunday, December 07, 2008

A Theme Park, Heli and BBQ

Amie wanted to go to Great America while she was down in CA, so Luke and Tiffany ended up taking her. J went with them, but I stayed at home with Z as they were going to be gone all day (not to mention roller coasters aren't so great for the neck).

Here's some of their energy food. I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but we had such a hard time in Louisville finding a real elephant ear. I'm not sure if they had the option here, but we always got stuck with the funnel cakes (doesn't matter if the ingredients are the same, they taste different!).

Can you imagine, they ate almost all of it!

Since I wasn't there, I'll just share some pics. I don't remember any specific stories or anything fantastically out of the ordinary happening, but I know they all had a good time.

Here's Luke and Tiffany.
And Luke being a dork.
Amie being crazy. I think the story behind this one was that her tongue was a different color because of an italian soda.

Luke arm wrestling. Words fail me :). And you would be correct - that is a fanny pack.
There weren't too many good pics of J, though I'm not sure I got any pics from Luke's camera. Here he is practicing his driving skills.
Let's face it, we've all got a line or two from Tommy Boy that we use on a fairly regular basis. Luke looks so big on that little horse! Whenever I see this pic I always want to sing "Fat guy on a little horse."

Again with the crazy faces.

Amie on the carousel (J doesn't do those things).

While they were at the park, Paul, Z and I got to hang out. Paul has this rc helicopter that Z used to be terrified of. Just plain scared. But one day he decided it was the funniest thing ever, so Z asked Paul to play with it. It was pretty cute, because we would get up before Paul in the mornings, and the first thing Z would say to Paul when he came out of his bedroom was helicopter, or some version of asking for it. It was so cute. So after some breakfast and if he had time, Paul would show it to him.

This day they spent some time playing with it, so I grabbed several pictures. I think this was actually the first day Z decided he liked it. I remember trying to take pictures but remain hidden so I didn't distract him. After Paul accidentally ran it into the bed (or Z might have helped as Paul let him fly it), Z thought that was the most funniest thing he had ever encountered. He kept asking Paul to make it go boom. To this day, if we ask him what goes boom, somewhere between guns and fireworks is Paul's helicopter :).



Paul also brought out a Tag. It's a new toy from Leapfrog, similar to the Fly but for ages 4-7. Of course Z is a little younger than that, but he still likes it. The pen has a camera so when you touch the page it detects a code on the paper, making the appropriate noise or reading the word. They're actually pretty fun books!

We had taken his carseat out of the car and just sat it in the entryway, but Z wanted to sit down and read his book.


After everyone got back, we of course had a big dinner. It's what we usually do when we get together, and it's always so much fun. And even though we're working on feeding so many people, it's never usually a stressor. The last time we got together, Luke overcut the butter into the apple pie topping (crisco just doesn't really cut it), and we usually have to work out a timing for bbqing everything on our small grill, but that's about the worst of it. It's just a lot of fun.

Amie took a pic of Paul and Maggie's chiminea. We like to roast mallows :). Random side note: one evening (Maggie wasn't home yet) Paul, J and I decided we wanted some smores. But we didn't want to wait for the fire to get going...so we just used their gas burners on their stove. It requires a greater level of skill (unless you're like J and just like yours charred), but it quenched our craving :). Another random note for you charrers out there: if you must char, then toast the mallow first. Paul and I are super crazy when it comes to roasting marshmallows - we just love it. I could sit there and roast forever. But we don't have that many people that like to eat them! But he and I are pretty particular about it. We'll roast ever so carefully, trying to evenly brown all sides to perfection. But for Jason, I'd take my time toasting and then set it ablaze. Then the inside was all warm and gooey. I think he preferred it.

Despite the look on Luke's face, we all had a good time. I think it was this time we tried pork and new york strip steak (my favorite) and some fancy stuff - filet mingon? We also had some chicken cordon bleu from the store, but it actually wasn't very good - it seemed like most of the cheese had leaked out. We of course also had corn, Hawaiian sweet bread, and I think I also made some waldorf salad. Yum! We had tasted some store bought waldorf salad on a previous visit to Jeanie's house, and I figured I could tweak a few things to make it better tasting and probably healthier. Mine is basically a fruit salad in vanilla yogurt. It's pretty tasty, though we didn't have a lot of room left in our bellies.

Don't try this at home!

This is actually a pretty good shot of Paul and Maggie.

Amie being a goon.

I kept trying to take this picture, but they both kept moving!
And us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home