More Snow
So I found this random picture we had taken of Z with one of our phones. Unfortunately, we didn't copy over the date. I think it's from June sometime. Z still loves to snuggle in our bed with the blankets. If I wake up with Z and need to go wake up J, Z and I will sneak in there and tuck into the blankets. It's nice to snuggle with the three of us. Of course, it doesn't last long as Z wants to wiggle or bounce. He knows that we don't bounce on the couch, but we can bounce on the bed. He actually managed to fall off it just recently - scared me. I was hanging up clothes and Z was playing on the bed. He came a little too close to my side and I reminded him that he needs to stay in the middle so he doesn't fall off. Don't know his logic, but right after I said that he started running over to the other side. I started to tell him to stop, he got his feet tripped up and fell...with his head over the edge of the bed. Of course, his head's so crazy huge that the weight tipped him off the edge. All I could manage to grab was his foot, but I didn't stop his fall much. I'm too short to reach the length of that bed. Luckily, he wasn't hurt very much. Was pretty scared, though. I just always have these visions of him falling and paralyzing himself. Guess that's the mom in me.
The deck off the back door got a fair amount of snow because of the wind, and one day Bob needed to go sweep a path so he could turn on the Christmas lights. Several weeks ago he and J had spent some time hanging them up - J was on the roof while Bob helped direct. They're pretty neat, but I told Bob Z would love to help. So we suited up and went out to play. I finally decided that Z's snowsuit is just too small - it leaves about 1 inch between his gloves and sleeve, which is just unacceptable. Not to mention a gab over his socks. I was hoping it would last us the season, but I don't think it will. And I don't know why, but it is incredibly hard to find real mittens for kids his size. All we have are those cheap cloth ones, and they just get all wet.
Anyway, here's Z helping.
He actually managed to push the broom under the snow - we almost forgot it! Even now, he still can't get up very well in that snowsuit if he falls down. He'll just keep asking for help.
We all know he's super cute :).
We left our shoes at the door as they were all wet. Then I look over and he's doing this. Hasn't done it much in the past, but he's done it a few time since then.

One night J and I went for a walk in the snow. It was cold, but it was also very beautiful. And quiet. The snow, in the air and on the ground, just sparkled with light. It was really nice. It was a little windy, though, so for some of the walk I was going backwards or to the side to avoid freezing my face. We wrote Zach's name in the snow and made snow angels when we got back. We also decided that we can handle flashing lights (we aren't such big fans) if it's timed to music. Seems like that's the latest thing these days, and a few houses had that feature. Pretty neat.
J took Z out to play in the snow while I was doing something (probably cooking) and they made a path through the snow around the yard. It was at least a foot at that time. I'm not sure what our total accumulation was, but it was a lot.
A few other random notes: we went out to dinner with my dad at Casa Mia. Yummy! And not horrifically awful for you if the sauce is on the side. It was nice to see Dad - he's doing much better. And our car didn't get stuck in the snow - always a plus.
J managed to fall off a ladder at work. About 16 feet up, if I remember correctly. They had two ladders facing away from each other, putting up boards when the other ladder started to slip down horizontal. Which of course made J's ladder tip over backwards. Down he went (he actually jumped onto the other ladder), then down came the big guy...on top of J. Thankfully he wasn't too badly injured. He had hurt his elbow doing something a few weeks ago (benching doesn't help), and that started acting up again because of the fall. But thankfully he didn't have any other problems.
And sticking with trying to make more crafts with Z, we started to make a pinata. I've wanted to make one for a while, and the last time I can remember doing so was in elementary school. But how much fun! I got several craft books at the store, copied about 200 pages of craft ideas (I'm going to organize them into a craft binder), and made some paper mache paste. Out of just water and flour, but man was it sticky! We made a snowman, so we had to get three balloons that were the proper size, then rip up the paper. I put the balloons in a small bowl to rest, then let the dipping begin! Z made a total mess, but he seemed to really enjoy it. We worked on it before and after nap (and I during). I wasn't sure how many layers to put on, but halfway through I realized I needed white paper if he was going to be a while snowman. So after putting three layers of newspaper, I put on a layer of computer paper. Which is crazy thick, but when wet I decided that I would need two layers to make him white, not just sort of white with newspaper showing through. Didn't think about the fact that the paper would dry and then not be see-through! So he's got three layers of newspaper and two layers of really thick paper...I don't think there's a chance he's going to get broken. But I did put holes through all three pieces (and one on the top) just in case we ever wanted to fill him up. It was good fun.

The deck off the back door got a fair amount of snow because of the wind, and one day Bob needed to go sweep a path so he could turn on the Christmas lights. Several weeks ago he and J had spent some time hanging them up - J was on the roof while Bob helped direct. They're pretty neat, but I told Bob Z would love to help. So we suited up and went out to play. I finally decided that Z's snowsuit is just too small - it leaves about 1 inch between his gloves and sleeve, which is just unacceptable. Not to mention a gab over his socks. I was hoping it would last us the season, but I don't think it will. And I don't know why, but it is incredibly hard to find real mittens for kids his size. All we have are those cheap cloth ones, and they just get all wet.
Anyway, here's Z helping.

He actually managed to push the broom under the snow - we almost forgot it! Even now, he still can't get up very well in that snowsuit if he falls down. He'll just keep asking for help.

We all know he's super cute :).

We left our shoes at the door as they were all wet. Then I look over and he's doing this. Hasn't done it much in the past, but he's done it a few time since then.

One night J and I went for a walk in the snow. It was cold, but it was also very beautiful. And quiet. The snow, in the air and on the ground, just sparkled with light. It was really nice. It was a little windy, though, so for some of the walk I was going backwards or to the side to avoid freezing my face. We wrote Zach's name in the snow and made snow angels when we got back. We also decided that we can handle flashing lights (we aren't such big fans) if it's timed to music. Seems like that's the latest thing these days, and a few houses had that feature. Pretty neat.
J took Z out to play in the snow while I was doing something (probably cooking) and they made a path through the snow around the yard. It was at least a foot at that time. I'm not sure what our total accumulation was, but it was a lot.
A few other random notes: we went out to dinner with my dad at Casa Mia. Yummy! And not horrifically awful for you if the sauce is on the side. It was nice to see Dad - he's doing much better. And our car didn't get stuck in the snow - always a plus.
J managed to fall off a ladder at work. About 16 feet up, if I remember correctly. They had two ladders facing away from each other, putting up boards when the other ladder started to slip down horizontal. Which of course made J's ladder tip over backwards. Down he went (he actually jumped onto the other ladder), then down came the big guy...on top of J. Thankfully he wasn't too badly injured. He had hurt his elbow doing something a few weeks ago (benching doesn't help), and that started acting up again because of the fall. But thankfully he didn't have any other problems.
And sticking with trying to make more crafts with Z, we started to make a pinata. I've wanted to make one for a while, and the last time I can remember doing so was in elementary school. But how much fun! I got several craft books at the store, copied about 200 pages of craft ideas (I'm going to organize them into a craft binder), and made some paper mache paste. Out of just water and flour, but man was it sticky! We made a snowman, so we had to get three balloons that were the proper size, then rip up the paper. I put the balloons in a small bowl to rest, then let the dipping begin! Z made a total mess, but he seemed to really enjoy it. We worked on it before and after nap (and I during). I wasn't sure how many layers to put on, but halfway through I realized I needed white paper if he was going to be a while snowman. So after putting three layers of newspaper, I put on a layer of computer paper. Which is crazy thick, but when wet I decided that I would need two layers to make him white, not just sort of white with newspaper showing through. Didn't think about the fact that the paper would dry and then not be see-through! So he's got three layers of newspaper and two layers of really thick paper...I don't think there's a chance he's going to get broken. But I did put holes through all three pieces (and one on the top) just in case we ever wanted to fill him up. It was good fun.

1 Comments:
this is a little out of date...update more please?
dustin K
Post a Comment
<< Home