First Week of December
Here's our son in the laundry. He loves to hide in clothing. At least this time it's clean :).

I have always, and I mean always, wanted to build a gingerbread house. Always. But I've always been too cheap to fork out the 10 bucks to get the kit :). This year I decided we'd do one. I had looked online for some crafts after doing some at storytime at the library (which Z and I both love) and read that instead of gingerbread one can use graham crackers, then fruits, nuts, cereals, and candies for decorations. They mentioned a cream cheese type of glue, but we just used cheap frosting.
It took me a while to get the cardboard frame together, but after that both Z and I really enjoyed putting it together. I put on the crackers and he helped me decorate. Unfortunately I hadn't really realized that the flatter the surface, the easier it sticks...so the chocolate chips and m&ms worked better than the round trix. We could have used other things, like peanuts and our dried cranberries, but it seemed like we had lots of things to decorate with and not a whole lot of room to decorate.
Here's Z putting on some m&ms. I put down the dots of frosting and he put the candy there. We made windows with cheezits and framed them with pretzel sticks. We had flowers from trix (color coordinated, of course) and a line of "lights" using again, m&ms. I filled in that triangle below the rooftop with lined up pretzel sticks. Wasn't easy, but probably easier than shaping a graham cracker.

I'll tell you what, that kid is quick! More m&ms probably made their way into his mouth than onto our house. One reason to use more cereal! His face was all dirty :). But we had lots of fun. We used small marshmallows and toothpicks to make snowmen, using a toothpick in food coloring for a face. We also used coconut as pretend snow. I guess I didn't get a picture of it finished, but it was pretty neat.

And of course early December means decorating. Z actually remembered from last year that he wasn't allowed to touch the tree. He's pretty smart - he's only touched it a few times with permission. Here he was helping Grandma Eva "fluff" out the branches. A necessary evil of fake trees.

I have always, and I mean always, wanted to build a gingerbread house. Always. But I've always been too cheap to fork out the 10 bucks to get the kit :). This year I decided we'd do one. I had looked online for some crafts after doing some at storytime at the library (which Z and I both love) and read that instead of gingerbread one can use graham crackers, then fruits, nuts, cereals, and candies for decorations. They mentioned a cream cheese type of glue, but we just used cheap frosting.
It took me a while to get the cardboard frame together, but after that both Z and I really enjoyed putting it together. I put on the crackers and he helped me decorate. Unfortunately I hadn't really realized that the flatter the surface, the easier it sticks...so the chocolate chips and m&ms worked better than the round trix. We could have used other things, like peanuts and our dried cranberries, but it seemed like we had lots of things to decorate with and not a whole lot of room to decorate.
Here's Z putting on some m&ms. I put down the dots of frosting and he put the candy there. We made windows with cheezits and framed them with pretzel sticks. We had flowers from trix (color coordinated, of course) and a line of "lights" using again, m&ms. I filled in that triangle below the rooftop with lined up pretzel sticks. Wasn't easy, but probably easier than shaping a graham cracker.

I'll tell you what, that kid is quick! More m&ms probably made their way into his mouth than onto our house. One reason to use more cereal! His face was all dirty :). But we had lots of fun. We used small marshmallows and toothpicks to make snowmen, using a toothpick in food coloring for a face. We also used coconut as pretend snow. I guess I didn't get a picture of it finished, but it was pretty neat.

And of course early December means decorating. Z actually remembered from last year that he wasn't allowed to touch the tree. He's pretty smart - he's only touched it a few times with permission. Here he was helping Grandma Eva "fluff" out the branches. A necessary evil of fake trees.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home