Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Z's New Tooth and Toy

Yep, you read it right - Z is finally getting a tooth. On Saturady (the 17th) he was gnawing on my thumb when I realized it wasn't just gums he was using. It's just a little guy (his bottom left) and it's just barely poking though, but it's actually pretty sharp.

Z rolled over again (that makes about 4 times), but he still can't do it consistently. He just hates tummy time, so I'm sure his inability is a lack of effort on our part - we don't put him on his belly as much as we probably should. He's trying real hard to sit up, but we learned the hard way it can't be on the couch (and by we I mean I). He's still pretty tipsy but can sit unassisted if he's on your lap and you're sitting indian style.

We've spent a decent amount of time outside lately. A week ago the weather was beautiful, and Zach and I played outside on a blanket and waited for J to come home - Z's first time playing outside. We also went for several walks. Jason took off March 11 to have a day off for his birthday, and we spent more time outside, playing and going for walks. We went to an outdoor mall, strip mall type place, and bought Zach a hat at Old Navy. It's super cute. Impulse buy, but totally worth it. The weather this last weekend wasn't super nice, but from today on we're supposed to be in the 70's. Hopefully we'll spend some more time enjoying the weather.

Zach also had his first real thunderstorm the end of last week. He loves to watch the leaves and branches move in the wind. We stayed out for a few minutes when the rain started so he could feel it, but it was a little chilly so we came inside. I'm not sure what he thought of the rain, but I was holding him and every now and then he would get super excited, so he must have liked something. Not sure it if was the wind, rain, lightning, thunder or just the cars going by.

So Jason got a new job. For a while this guy he knows has been mentioning the possibility, and he was finally offered a position. He'll start the first of the month. It'll be outside sales for a distribution shop (still granite). He'll have to travel around a little bit, but hopefully it won't be much outside of normal business hours. We were planning on moving to California this summer, but because of the new job that will be put on hold. But Jason is excited about this opportunity and hopefully he will really enjoy it (he doesn't much enjoy his current job).

We also are going to have to buy a car now, since he won't be using a company vehicle, and look for a new apartment. We aren't in a lease right now because we didn't know when we'd move, and it's only a one bedroom. So I began the search. Did you know that for some reason apartments in Kentucky can't tell the tenants not to smoke? Seems like since they own it, they could make the rules. Maybe they should be able to and Kentucky wouldn't be like the worst in the nation (see your state's grades here). It's so nasty. We've been in this place over a year, and won't even run the a/c or heat because it reeks. You can't get that smell out. So we're trying to find a nicer place that hopefully won't have that problem. Or have people smoking in the hallways. Yuck. Just my personal rant :).

On a different note, our best friends here are going to be moving about 3 hours away. He finally got orders from the army, and they are hoping he'll be leaving in January to go to Afghanistan, which is better than Iraq. But he's supposed to be at the post May 1st. They actually sold their house after only 1 day on the market - they have a great location.

I've been working on this post for a few days, so sorry if it's a little disjointed. I have lots of pics here - I just couldn't decide between the ones that are similar, and kept thinking that one might tickle someone's fancy, while another pic might be for someone else.

This is from March 9th. He's growing so big and is really showing a lot of personality. He is still a really happy baby, and smiles and laughs a lot - it's just hard to get a clear picture because he usually get excited and moves his whole body.

I can't let the camera sting dangle while I take pictures - he gets so focused on that and just wants to chew on it. He seems to really like the string and straps. He also likes to try and eat my hair, but once it's in his mouth he makes this aweful face as it tickles him. It seems like every day though he trys it again. I really want to get it on video - it's so funny.

Our stoller wasn't super expensive, but we figured we didn't need a fancy one. This one has cup holders for all three of us! He's pretty small compared to it, but he does alright. We can lean him way back or have him sit up. We usually keep him upright, but as he's not got that down yet, he usually ends up leaning one way or the other. And that's my favorite hat - that's too small for him now! :( These are from the 11th.

Like I said, he loves chewing on the straps. We'll attach a toy to the tray so he has something, but he always goes for the strap. Same thing in his car seat.

To keep the sun out of his eyes, I ended up putting on this other hat we had. But it didn't cover his ears, so we needed a second one. A little ghetto, but it worked.
This is our new hat that we bought. We just love it! It's 6-12 months, so he'll have it for a while. It's just a tad big for him now.


I was trying to take a picture of him while he was sitting on my lap. My aim sucked, but he's got an awesome look on his face! I was bummed I didn't do a better job of snapping it.

We don't always put his hat on backwards. He looks all red here, and I don't know why - he must have been hot. Don't worry, he didn't get a sunburn.

Zach has been having trouble the last few weeks taking a bottle - Jason usually feeds him dinner. We've tried faster flows, slower flows, but he just makes a mess. It's like he's forgotten how to do it. In retrospect, it might be because of teething issues (I've heard they can have problems eating). He gets really excited when I'm drinking water and wants some, so I often let him try to drink some. So I figured why not try a sippy cup? Maybe he's ready for the next step? He actually did okay, and he knew what was in it. He made a little bit of a mess, but he still got at least an ounce out. I think he liked chewing on it, too. The following several pictures are from March 14th.

He's so little compared to the couch! One day he'll be all grown up, but I thought this would make for a cute picture.
This just makes me laugh. He had been chewing on his shirt, so that's why it's hanging all funny on him - it was soaked! He's a little chunky with the cheeks, but it helps when you can actually see his neck.
His keys are one of his favorite toys - I'll usually hold up two toys in front of him and let him pick which one he wants to play with. When he goes for the toy with both hands I know he's decided. He just loves his keys. I think he likes the noise, too, that they make when you jingle them.

Don't you just want to scoop him up and snuggle?

He doesn't usually suck his thumb (or any of his fingers for that matter), but he will chew on them. Anything he can get in his mouth, really.

Here's Z doing some stretching.


This is a great "oops" face.
And here he's just being cute.
This one is so cute - it's such a shame it's blurry. Again, he moves so much it's hard to get clear ones (although you wouldn't be able to tell by the amount of pictures I post).

I must have been bored, because I took a slew of pictures on March 16th. He won't get to wear this shirt anymore - it's my favorite, but it's such a squeeze to get his arms through.

He really is a very happy baby. Yesterday he was hanging out in his bouncer while I was making dinner and he just started laughing for no reason. Just a giggling away. Jason can make him laugh pretty easily - he just loves his daddy. And if you hold him upside down, it's almost a guaranteed laugh.

He also likes to put things above his head. Don't really know why. He sticks his tongue out a lot :).

You can make your own commentary for this one :).

I usually put him in his bouncer for a few minutes after he eats so he doesn't spit up a whole lot. I left him with his hat on, went to the bedroom for something and came back out a few minutes later to find him chewing on his hat. This one just looks like he's going to throw it. I guess he could be a baseball player.

While he usually loves the tags on the toys more than the toys themselves, we'll give him his turtle when we set him in his crib so we can pick out clothes. He seems to like him so much that I've given it to him to play on random occasions. I don't know what he was saying, but he must have been having a conversation with Mr. Turtle.

I realized I hadn't taken any recent pics of his little toesies. He had his feet wrapped around one of the bars on his gym. The doctor even mentioned last time we were there how deep and defined the lines are on his feet.

Again, the tongue.

I know a lot of parents probably say this, but Zach really is a smart kid. He knows that he can pull down the bar with one hand to get the toy closer so he can grab it with his other. Today he was playing and he kept letting go with his first hand too soon, so the bar would go back up straight. It took him a few times to get a good grip on the toy so he could grab it with both hands.

He doesn't roll over very well yet, but man can he squirm! I put him the opposite of this picture, with his head away from me. He squirmed and turned a full circle in the course of play, then went again and ended up like this. He also figured out that he can play with the bars with his feet and bring the toys down lower.

These two are from 3-17. It's fun to play with the features on our camera and accent the colors.

I know this one is blurry, but it just reminds me of a cheerleader. "Give me a 'Z'!"

This is our new toy we put together on Sunday. It's the Rainforest collection, the same as our bouncer and gym. We figured since we don't plan on having just one kid, we could justify the cost and buy items of a set. He hasn't figured out about the bouncing yet, but he does like the toys. His upper body is a little short for it right now, but he still gets to be upright and work those muscles.

And Z with his Pa. He just makes the cutest faces.

In this one Jason looks a little happier, and you can see how tall Z is getting. He likes to try to stand up.

Well folks, that's all for now. Can't think of anything else important we need to share. And Z's up now. Hope you enjoy the pics!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

I dare say you've got a genuine baby boy rather than a newborn now. Zach does look like a very happy baby, and much of what you say he likes and does is exactly what Judah was/is like. :-) Isn't it amazing to watch a baby grow and learn? It happens so fast that you can watch the progression! Can't wait until maybe someday Judah and Zach meet again when they are able to interact more! (Oh, and we could throw in our second into the friend mix! :-P )

March 22, 2007 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home