Friday, August 31, 2007

A Day In The Life Of...

Last weekend we had Grandpa Dave come visit for a few hours on his way up to PA. Unfortunately, we didn't get a picture...Zach goes to bed pretty early, so I just didn't think of it. Oh well. But Z wasn't too terribly shy, which was nice. He actually crawled over to him and played for a while. It was nice to hang out.

Here's Z with his blocks on the window sill. He likes to just pick them up and drop them. Still trying to teach him to pick them up and put them away...

Here's Z helping sort the laundry. Or mix it up, whatever. Same thing to him :) I had the great idea of putting a bib on him and rubbing some Vicks on it for his little stuffy nose. I've not ever put it on him, and didn't want to find out the hard way that it gave him a rash or something. So we just wore the 'medicine bib.' Poor little tyke. His nose seems to have slowed down on the runny side, but is still stuffy. Seems to be lingering for me as well.

We joke that Zach is our little rock climber, because he will climb anything and everything, and pretty well too. But he also likes to crawl through small spaces. Even if they aren't big enough for him. Then he'll get frustrated :). But he's managed to get underneath the dining table a couple times. I wish I would have done video because it was cool that he made it out, but I didn't expect him to. He's getting some great problem solving skills. He pretty much did a face-plant, scooched forward and got out. I was pretty surprised.

This is him after he made it :)

Z has started what can only be described as screeching. It seems like he's calmed down a bit with it, but man is it loud. And shrill. It's usually when he's upset. I try to tell him that he needs to communicate differently and not talk to us like that, but I'm not sure he understands. I think he's really trying to communicate with us now and gets frustrated that he's not being understood. And he's getting three little baby teeth. Within two days I noticed them, and am waiting for the fourth to start popping through. So he's been teething, been sick, and I think his dietary needs are getting larger so he requires more food. Only learn that when he starts fussing. Yesterday Jason fed him dinner while I had an appointment, and Z started freaking out when J put the cup down. J asked him if he wanted more and Z calmed down. So Jason gave him some more milk that was in the sippy cup. Z freaked out again and J pointed to the cup and asked if Z wanted more, and he calmed right down. Jason said it was pretty much instantaneous. So he got some more food :). I was pretty impressed. It's nice that he's learning to communicate his needs to us.

In this picture he was actually being fussy, but his facial expression didn't capture that. The other ones from this sequence were a little blurry. He really is a good kid, he just gets fussy sometimes. Suppose all kids do that, but again, I really think it's because he's trying to tell us something. So we try to be patient.

Z likes to crawl to the end of the couch and lean against it, looking over the edge. He knows that I keep my cell phone and the remote there, so he'll usually grab those and drop them over the edge after a time. Maybe he just likes being tall, who knows. But in this picture he managed to get both cell phones. Grandpa Dave bought him this shirt, and it's totally cute although a little small. It's so hard to judge sizes when you haven't seen the kid in a while, but even harder still when the sizes aren't universal. Someone really oughta do something about that.

Grandpa wanted me to get a picture with his shirt on so you could read it. Easier said than done! But I managed to get a few good ones.


Because Jason likes it so dang cold at night, we've started putting some pants on Z. These ones are I think 12 months, and way too long. So it was cute when he was crawling around without any feet. Doesn't help that when he crawls he stretches them out :).

Zach has started to become less of a mama's boy and more attached to Jason. Which is nice, but also lends to some more fussy moments. He really gets bummed out when Jason has to leave in the morning, and will usually end up chasing him around the house as he gets ready. Then he'll be all sad and cry when he leaves :(.

Here's Z trying to "help" J get ready for work. Or just try to convince him to play with him.

I'm not a big fan of the pants with words on the butt, but maybe that's because they are always on teenage girls trying to draw attention to their butts. But on Zach it's kind of cute :). Jason's sister Jacquie got us these, and they say "big trouble."

This picture just makes me smile, I think because the way his pants are sitting. He doesn't have any feet; it's like he's this little flower planted to the ground.

The other day I was sitting on the floor against the couch and looked over to see Z peeking up over the edge of the couch. Now, I spend all day with the kid and noticed that he looked a wee bit taller than he really is. He's been known to try to stand on things to reach what's on the edge of the couch, so I was curious what he was up to. Low and behold, he was standing on his pack of blocks. He didn't actually fall off, either. Just sort of sloped down when he was done.

Alright, well Z is now up from his nap. Tomorrow we get to see Uncle Paul and Aunt Maggie!! I'll try to get a pic or two this time :).

1 Comments:

Blogger david, blair, and sadie beth said...

I love the army crawl picture. Lots of fun pictures. Have a great time with your bro and sister in law this weekend! See you Sunday.

August 31, 2007 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home