New Additions to the Family
That's right, we finally bought a new car. Since we are going to be here for a little while longer and not going to Cali this year, we had to bite the bullet. So we got a 2001 Honda Accord. It's actually a pretty decent car with leather interior and a sunroof. We got it with 67k miles on it. And we got it less than the suggested blue book, which is nice - Jason can barter with the best of them. The interior design doesn't really wow me, but it's growing on me. It feels like they haven't done much updating since the 80's. Oh well. It should run forever.
Jason took probably the least flattering picture ever, but you can get the idea :).

And we drop $350 on a Wii and what are we playing?? An original NES. We helped our friends move and they were actually going to give it Good Will. Yeah right! So we took it off their hands. I can't wait to get Dragon Warrior. It was like my favorite game when I was growing up. Z just looks cute with it, although he was able to make Mario move a little.

Things have been going alright here. Like I said, our friends moved to Tennessee. But we have some other friends that actually live really close to us now. Zach has been doing well - no extra teeth but he can sit up very well. He can't get there and I don't yet trust him on his own, but he really has gotten the hang of it. And man can he get around! He doesn't understand that his knees need to be under him to crawl, but he will turn very quickly and scooch backwards. He's starting to get into lots of stuff now - he's pretty quick. Soon he'll be into everything.
Zach has started some more solid foods. I think I'm going to fire our pediatrician. They pretty much told us he could start solid foods. That was about it. They said to start with orange, then yellow, then green and about a few tablespoons to start. That was it. So I start reading a book and learning what should really happen and am pretty disappointed in them. It's pretty frustrating. They can't bank on the fact that we know everything or even know the right questions to ask.
So anyway, now that I've read lots of my Super Baby Food book (highly recommended), Z has had avacados (which he does not yet like), bananas, carrots, sweet potatoes, pears and commercial rice cereal and oatmeal. Which, by the way, are iron fortified so that's why he was having tummy problems. So we bought some stuff at the store and I'm just going to make my own cereals. I've already made a few things and am pretty excited. I have a spreadsheet going of what he can have and when. Of course, the lame thing is that you can only give him a new food every five days or so, so it's slow going. But he seems to enjoy new foods. The biggest challenge is how to organize the freezer!
Jason really likes his new job, even though it does require a lot of driving. He usually takes the company car on long days, so that helps out our car. He's actually in the process of helping train a new sales rep who knows very little about granite.
And we've finally joined the movement and started buying some organic stuff. All Zach has eaten has been organic, and I'd like it to stay that way. So we've decided for ourselves to buy organic meat and produce. We can't buy everything at the health food store because that would break the bank, so we're starting with the most important to us. It's a combination of reasons, really - healthier food, better for the environment, and it supports the little guy - not the "cash cow," if you will. We also have purchased energy efficient light bulbs and plan to start recycling. A combination of Earth Day, Planet Earth reruns, An Inconvenient Truth and Crunchy Cons convinced us we should do things a little differently.
And my neck still hurts. Crashing sucks. I plan to go see another MD and probably have an MRI done just to make sure nothing else is wrong besides the muscles. A couple people have recommended that be done. Now if I could just get in to see a doc!
Jason says I should make the posts smaller and more frequent, but by the time I get around to doing them it's been a long time and there's a lot of pics. So you'll just have to deal with it :).
So we start with April. Zach wouldn't keep his feet still, but I thought this was a cute picture.

Jason will sometimes (okay, most times) get up with Zach in the mornings if he doesn't need to eat right away to give me some extra sleep. I got up and found Jason almost snoozing on the floor with his blankey, with Z next to him. Pretty cute.

Zach is almost always so happy when he wakes up from his naps. I like this round of pictures a lot. I know there's some similar ones, but they're all just so good...
This is his Pop-Eye face :)
And here he's practicing his swimming. He'll be a water baby for sure.

This is one of my favorite recent pics.

For you, Joanna...crazy Zach attack!!

He looks like he's been up to no good. He's actually not standing on his own yet, but his legs are pretty strong. I just wanted to see what some pics would look like of him against the railing like that.

His cheeks look a little chubby here, but it's more of a pensive look.

And one more place that it's not safe to leave him alone for a minute...we got into the habit of not strapping him in his bouncer - he was never going anywhere, so we never bothered. Well, that's changed. I went into the bedroom, came out and found him like this. He only does it when he's bored, I think, because if he's only there for a little while he'll still play nice. The other day I was chopping stuff for dinner with his bouncer a few feet from me. All of a sudden I feel something up against my leg and he had tried rolling over. Any parent can testify, I'm sure, that it really only does take a few seconds to go from fine to not so fine. What's funny, though, is that Zach is great at rolling from his back to his belly (even in his bouncer), but seems to have forgotten how to go from his belly to his back. Maybe it's not as smooth and he doesn't like it much, but he hasn't done it much at all lately.

Grandpa Bob and Grandma Eva finally got to meet Zach! They were here for a week and spent lots of time with him. Not to brag, but they said he was a great kid, too. So it's not just me :). Jason was able to take some time off of work - it was a great break for me! Not only was Jason home more than normal, but they wanted to hang out with Zach a lot. It was so nice!
And of course, we had to play with the Wii. No age limit there!

Zachary was a very good boy, and he doesn't really care if other people hold him or not. We have some friends that have a kid a few weeks younger than Zach, and man is he a mama's boy. He'll fuss if someone he doesn't know holds him. Thankfully, Zach isn't like that at all. He's very easy going.
Zach loves to bounce, and will give your arms a good workout!

This is a good picture. Sometimes it can be a little difficult to get Zach focused and smiling, but not so for this one!

Talking with Grandpa...

We went to the Slugger Museum for the first time ever. It was actually pretty cool. At the end of the tour they give you a small bat as a sovenir (which you can't take as a carry-on!). They had lots of cool things from the greats of baseball, not just your guys with the asterisks. They even had signed bats and letters from the Bambino. Zach just liked to chew on the bat.

Playing with Grandma...

Bob and Eva were here for the beginning of the Derby celebration - Thunder Over Louisville. It's the biggest fireworks show in North America, I'm pretty sure. I think they spent 6 million? It's a half-hour fireworks show after a day long air show. It's worth seeing at least once. But it doesn't work well to fight crowds late a night with a little guy! They guess that 800,000 people end up at the waterfront on both sides of the river. So we just went down to the edge of a park on the river and watched a little of the air show.

Zach got a little lovin' before church.

We actually ditched the grandparents for several hours on Sunday to help our friends move. They were nice enough to handle Zach.

I'm not sure when he learned it, but he got really good at blowing raspberries. Spit would go everywhere. He could actually do it with his tongue between his lips, too. Seriously, spit was just all over his chin and would hit you if you weren't paying attention. He picked it up just when the grandparents were here...and hasn't done it since. We do it every now and then, but he won't copy it.

They also fed Zach his solid foods - I love his face!

Zach loves to laugh. In this picture you can actually see his two little baby teeth. I don't know if it's because of his teeth or just because of development, but he just babbles all day long now. He actually was saying mama for a while, but I don't think he knew what it meant. He would, however, try to mimic Jason when he would say it with the sign. He now says many more consonant sounds, so I've been trying to teach him dada. He just loves to babble.

He's just cute.

I don't know how this worked out, but I know that I moved the camera down as I took the picture. It's just a cool effect that he's fairly well focused while everything else is blurry. I forgot to take the red-eye out, so if you want a copy of it that's corrected just let me know.

Okay, I think that's all for now. Sorry it's been so long since we posted - I'm sure that I've missed some stuff. I've been devoting a lot of time to reading some books - the food book and also Shepherding a Child's Heart - a superb read.
Alright, now I'm done. Anyone watch Idol this week? Super suck, for sure.
Jason took probably the least flattering picture ever, but you can get the idea :).

And we drop $350 on a Wii and what are we playing?? An original NES. We helped our friends move and they were actually going to give it Good Will. Yeah right! So we took it off their hands. I can't wait to get Dragon Warrior. It was like my favorite game when I was growing up. Z just looks cute with it, although he was able to make Mario move a little.

Things have been going alright here. Like I said, our friends moved to Tennessee. But we have some other friends that actually live really close to us now. Zach has been doing well - no extra teeth but he can sit up very well. He can't get there and I don't yet trust him on his own, but he really has gotten the hang of it. And man can he get around! He doesn't understand that his knees need to be under him to crawl, but he will turn very quickly and scooch backwards. He's starting to get into lots of stuff now - he's pretty quick. Soon he'll be into everything.
Zach has started some more solid foods. I think I'm going to fire our pediatrician. They pretty much told us he could start solid foods. That was about it. They said to start with orange, then yellow, then green and about a few tablespoons to start. That was it. So I start reading a book and learning what should really happen and am pretty disappointed in them. It's pretty frustrating. They can't bank on the fact that we know everything or even know the right questions to ask.
So anyway, now that I've read lots of my Super Baby Food book (highly recommended), Z has had avacados (which he does not yet like), bananas, carrots, sweet potatoes, pears and commercial rice cereal and oatmeal. Which, by the way, are iron fortified so that's why he was having tummy problems. So we bought some stuff at the store and I'm just going to make my own cereals. I've already made a few things and am pretty excited. I have a spreadsheet going of what he can have and when. Of course, the lame thing is that you can only give him a new food every five days or so, so it's slow going. But he seems to enjoy new foods. The biggest challenge is how to organize the freezer!
Jason really likes his new job, even though it does require a lot of driving. He usually takes the company car on long days, so that helps out our car. He's actually in the process of helping train a new sales rep who knows very little about granite.
And we've finally joined the movement and started buying some organic stuff. All Zach has eaten has been organic, and I'd like it to stay that way. So we've decided for ourselves to buy organic meat and produce. We can't buy everything at the health food store because that would break the bank, so we're starting with the most important to us. It's a combination of reasons, really - healthier food, better for the environment, and it supports the little guy - not the "cash cow," if you will. We also have purchased energy efficient light bulbs and plan to start recycling. A combination of Earth Day, Planet Earth reruns, An Inconvenient Truth and Crunchy Cons convinced us we should do things a little differently.
And my neck still hurts. Crashing sucks. I plan to go see another MD and probably have an MRI done just to make sure nothing else is wrong besides the muscles. A couple people have recommended that be done. Now if I could just get in to see a doc!
Jason says I should make the posts smaller and more frequent, but by the time I get around to doing them it's been a long time and there's a lot of pics. So you'll just have to deal with it :).
So we start with April. Zach wouldn't keep his feet still, but I thought this was a cute picture.

Jason will sometimes (okay, most times) get up with Zach in the mornings if he doesn't need to eat right away to give me some extra sleep. I got up and found Jason almost snoozing on the floor with his blankey, with Z next to him. Pretty cute.

Zach is almost always so happy when he wakes up from his naps. I like this round of pictures a lot. I know there's some similar ones, but they're all just so good...
This is his Pop-Eye face :)

And here he's practicing his swimming. He'll be a water baby for sure.

This is one of my favorite recent pics.

For you, Joanna...crazy Zach attack!!

He looks like he's been up to no good. He's actually not standing on his own yet, but his legs are pretty strong. I just wanted to see what some pics would look like of him against the railing like that.

His cheeks look a little chubby here, but it's more of a pensive look.

And one more place that it's not safe to leave him alone for a minute...we got into the habit of not strapping him in his bouncer - he was never going anywhere, so we never bothered. Well, that's changed. I went into the bedroom, came out and found him like this. He only does it when he's bored, I think, because if he's only there for a little while he'll still play nice. The other day I was chopping stuff for dinner with his bouncer a few feet from me. All of a sudden I feel something up against my leg and he had tried rolling over. Any parent can testify, I'm sure, that it really only does take a few seconds to go from fine to not so fine. What's funny, though, is that Zach is great at rolling from his back to his belly (even in his bouncer), but seems to have forgotten how to go from his belly to his back. Maybe it's not as smooth and he doesn't like it much, but he hasn't done it much at all lately.

Grandpa Bob and Grandma Eva finally got to meet Zach! They were here for a week and spent lots of time with him. Not to brag, but they said he was a great kid, too. So it's not just me :). Jason was able to take some time off of work - it was a great break for me! Not only was Jason home more than normal, but they wanted to hang out with Zach a lot. It was so nice!
And of course, we had to play with the Wii. No age limit there!

Zachary was a very good boy, and he doesn't really care if other people hold him or not. We have some friends that have a kid a few weeks younger than Zach, and man is he a mama's boy. He'll fuss if someone he doesn't know holds him. Thankfully, Zach isn't like that at all. He's very easy going.
Zach loves to bounce, and will give your arms a good workout!

This is a good picture. Sometimes it can be a little difficult to get Zach focused and smiling, but not so for this one!

Talking with Grandpa...

We went to the Slugger Museum for the first time ever. It was actually pretty cool. At the end of the tour they give you a small bat as a sovenir (which you can't take as a carry-on!). They had lots of cool things from the greats of baseball, not just your guys with the asterisks. They even had signed bats and letters from the Bambino. Zach just liked to chew on the bat.

Playing with Grandma...

Bob and Eva were here for the beginning of the Derby celebration - Thunder Over Louisville. It's the biggest fireworks show in North America, I'm pretty sure. I think they spent 6 million? It's a half-hour fireworks show after a day long air show. It's worth seeing at least once. But it doesn't work well to fight crowds late a night with a little guy! They guess that 800,000 people end up at the waterfront on both sides of the river. So we just went down to the edge of a park on the river and watched a little of the air show.

Zach got a little lovin' before church.

We actually ditched the grandparents for several hours on Sunday to help our friends move. They were nice enough to handle Zach.

I'm not sure when he learned it, but he got really good at blowing raspberries. Spit would go everywhere. He could actually do it with his tongue between his lips, too. Seriously, spit was just all over his chin and would hit you if you weren't paying attention. He picked it up just when the grandparents were here...and hasn't done it since. We do it every now and then, but he won't copy it.

They also fed Zach his solid foods - I love his face!

Zach loves to laugh. In this picture you can actually see his two little baby teeth. I don't know if it's because of his teeth or just because of development, but he just babbles all day long now. He actually was saying mama for a while, but I don't think he knew what it meant. He would, however, try to mimic Jason when he would say it with the sign. He now says many more consonant sounds, so I've been trying to teach him dada. He just loves to babble.

He's just cute.

I don't know how this worked out, but I know that I moved the camera down as I took the picture. It's just a cool effect that he's fairly well focused while everything else is blurry. I forgot to take the red-eye out, so if you want a copy of it that's corrected just let me know.

Okay, I think that's all for now. Sorry it's been so long since we posted - I'm sure that I've missed some stuff. I've been devoting a lot of time to reading some books - the food book and also Shepherding a Child's Heart - a superb read.
Alright, now I'm done. Anyone watch Idol this week? Super suck, for sure.

6 Comments:
I don't mind the long posts at all! Love the Popeye face and the pics with Grandpa! Zach really is a cutie pie, for sure! Love those baby teeth! Props on getting an accord...we're quite fond of ours and my dad just got one too. Hope your neck/back starts to feel better soon!
Great pics, Jodee. Thanks so much to you guys for inviting us to come and meet Mr. Z. He's just the sweetest little guy. What a life; just smiling, blowing raspberries and soaking up the love you have for him. Thanks too for making us feel right at home - this was one of our very best vacations.
Love to all,
Dad and Eva
What wonderful pictures.
It's nice to see Grandpa Bob and Grandma Eva enjoying their grandson.
Thanks so much for sharing.
Love Mom and Gary
We at the Blogger Awards and Citations Department would like to both honor and fine you for posting the longest blog entry in the history of the Internet (all hail, former V.P. Albert Gore, Jr. for creating it for us).
Please come by our home office in Tennessee to pick up your award and pay your fine.
You mean PRESIDENT Al Gore. And this award better be fatty. May I pay the fine with baked goods?
Yup
Post a Comment
<< Home