Friday, April 06, 2007

New Pad

Well, we're moved into our new place. Because we didn't have any a/c and didn't want to stay in that stupid place, we moved last weekend. That way we only had to pay rent for one place this month (phew!). We moved some stuff in on Friday night with the help of one of our friends. Saturday we did the majority of it with the help of a couple of friends, and then Sunday we grabbed the last few things and did a quick clean. It went much better and faster than we had anticipated. In less than two days we were fully moved!

Our new place is really nice and pretty well organized. It had to be for our House party (okay, mostly Idol) on Tuesday, according to one friend who will remain nameless :). Just like with packing, it seems like unpacking and organizing that last 10% takes forever. I kind of want to be done with that and start decorating. I figured since Z actually has his own room now, I could hang up my kites and stuff. When I lived at the beach I had my dragon kite circling the ceiling, and I thought that would look pretty neat in Z's room.

Here's our living room. It's really not finished yet, so excuse the mess. This is from the sliding glass door.

Our living room.

Our kitchen is nice and open - we really like it. We don't really have a dining room table, but we've got lots of boxes of books!

It took forever to organize the kitchen cabinets/pantry. But I think we finally got it the way we want it.
We have the main door that we really don't use very much - the glass door is right next to the parking lot. We have a decent sized coat closet.
Z's room! It's not finished yet either, but you can get the idea. Because of the layout, Z's closet is actually bigger than ours!

Excuse the make-shift drapes - we need to get some. Zach sometimes has a hard time sleeping at night if it's not dark enough.

Here are some pics of Z. The previous post with Z's project was in between these pics - I posted it ASAP so you guys could check it out (I'm super excited about hanging it in Z's room!).

This is from March 21. We plan to move within one week of finding a place?? That was about my face, too.

But he didn't have to do the packing :).

Z's on rice cereal again. We had his 6 month check up and they say he's really small. Well, he's 26" and only 14 lbs 14 oz, which they said was in the 7th percentile for weight. According to the chart I have in my books, it's more like 12%. The doc said she was a little concerned about his weight and to try to feed him more. Note to self: I know my child better than anybody else. And while medical training is very important, I have to make decisions based upon who my kid is. Needless to say, I started trying to feed him a little more. He wouldn't take a bottle, and he started getting really fussy, so I messed with his eating schedule to see if that would make him better, because he "needed to gain weight." I think that just jacked us up. We're back to eating at our old times, and if he says he's done he's done. He's just the right size for him, so who should say what he needs to weigh? It's not like we're starving the kid - he just won't take any more.

This weekend was awful. Zach was so fussy from about Thursday on. At first I thought it might have been because his legs hurt from his shots. But tylenol didn't seem to help. Then I thought it might be because we weren't spending as much time with him because we were packing. But he's not really a mama's boy and can usually play very nicely by himself. I thought it might be teething, but he didn't fuss much at all for his first two teeth and his top gums aren't white (orajel didn't help either). I thought it might be the new place with new smells and his new room. And then I thought it might be his belly because he hadn't poo-ed as much as he normally does. If you picked him up he would usually get better, so I thought maybe the counter-pressure on his stomach made him feel better. Lay him on his back though, and he would wail. He was so needy; it was awful. So on Wednesday I called the doc to see if it could possibly be teething. I don't know how other doctor's offices work, but this one always tells me to come in. It's like they can't talk to me on the phone and give me some general advice; it's always "well, we can't tell unless we look at him." Which I can understand, but geez. It's like I don't want to call anymore because I know they won't tell my anything but to come in. Dawn, is your ped like that? It can be pretty frustrating. So since Jason was in Lexington, our friend took us to the doc. She said nothing looked wrong and it could be relux (which I had thought of because he kept spitting up - although that could be a problem if his tummy hurt). She prescribed some meds and said if it didn't get better in a few days to call and they would x-ray his tummy. Well, he poo-ed like 5 times that day, so my best guess was right. He's been fine ever since - we never filled the prescription. I don't know if trying to force feed him upset him or what. We had also ran out of rice cereal for a few days last weekend. Moral of the story - you know your kid better than anybody else, so go with your gut.

Anyway, Z now gets some rice cereal for his morning and afternoon snack. We're going to start with vegies to supplement his lunchtime.

All that to say he sits in his booster seat. He really likes it. After I'm done feeding him I let him play with his spoon. He likes to chew on it, and I show him which end goes in his mouth.

This was back at the old place. This was naptime. Before:

He's just like his daddy. Any and all covers will be a mess. After:

To bad this didn't get in focus - he's a squirmer! But his face is pretty cute.

Since Z has his own bedroom now he takes all his naps in his crib. Last week he just took off with the rolling. Rolling everywhere. It's funny, because he's now better at rolling from his back to his belly, and he'll sometimes get stuck there. Last week he was crying during the night and we wanted to make sure his leg wasn't caught. He had rolled onto his tummy and didn't like it. Once Jason rolled him over he fell right back asleep. He's also started sleeping on his sides now which is pretty cute. Only a few times has he fallen asleep on his belly. He doesn't mind being on his belly as much as he used to, though, and he's really trying to figure out how to crawl. Within the last week he's also really started sitting up. You can't leave him, but he does really, really well.

This is how I found him when he woke up from a nap.

He's usually pretty happy when he's well rested, and always smiles at you when you come in to get him.

Crazy hair!! We have only cut some of his baby hair, and that was several months ago. Now the sides and top are starting to get a little long. After all his rolling and sleeping, it can be everywhere. It was a little crazier than this yesterday, but I didn't have the camera.

On a different note, Jason's new job is going well. He seems to really enjoy it. We have to buy a new car ASAP though because he's driven like 700 miles this week on the truck. We didn't do it last weekend because we were moving, and I've decided I can only handle one big change a weekend.

Well, there's lots of other things I should be doing (like taxes!), so that's all for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dawn said...

LOVE that last pic of Zach! What a pristine cutie!

Our ped office doesn't ask us to come in for everything. It totally depends on what it is. If it is a low fever and/or cold symptoms, they just say Tylenol and wait a day or two...if it doesn't improve, then bring him in. But if it is rash related or we suspect and ear infection, they always want to see him. They actually told me any child with a rash they must see to determine what is wrong, which makes sense. Tummy trouble could be several different things that only a physical exam could determine, so I'm not surprise they told you to go in. What's really nice, the office here has a clinic hour every day except Sunday from 8-9am, so you can just take your kid in without an appt.

And while I do agree "going with your gut" when it comes to your own kid is true, I think it's possible to rely TOO much on your gut alone. But, then again, I grew up in the medical world. ;-) I really think parents need a healthy balance of the two - gut and doctor's help. If it weren't for my gut telling me to take Judah in over a runny nose and slight fever...we'd never have figured out he is prone to ear infections until it was really bad!

Hopefully, introducing the veggies will help Zach beef up so he can gear up for the movin' and shakin' days SOON to come!

April 07, 2007 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

test

April 12, 2007 4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home